The Complete Guide to Green-Lipped Mussel Oil
Table of contents:
- What is green-lipped mussel oil?
- Common reasons to use
- Side effects and misconceptions
- How long does it take to see results?
If you have chronic pain, you aren’t alone. Millions of people in the US deal with chronic pain each year from many causes – particularly inflammation. Chronic pain can last weeks, months, or longer. It may be a mild annoyance, so severe that it keeps you from going to work or performing your regular daily activities, or – in most cases – somewhere in between.
Being in pain day in and day out – or even for just part of each day – is exhausting. It affects every part of your life, including your relationships, your job, your mood, your routine, and your overall well-being and quality of life. Naturally, sufferers of chronic pain want to find solutions fast.
Unfortunately, these solutions too often come in the form of opioid pain medications that come with their own set of problems. You probably know someone now who takes opioids regularly. The problem has become shockingly widespread: In 2017, nearly 30,000 people in the US died from synthetic opioid overdoses. About half of these deaths involved prescription painkillers.
Opioids are useful in some instances, such as for short-term use following a surgery or injury. However, opioids can produce troublesome side effects quickly. When people take opioids for months or longer, they are highly likely to experience issues such as a desire to cut back and not being able to do so, taking larger amounts than prescribed, trouble fulfilling obligations such as work or school, using opioids in physically dangerous situations (such as when driving or operating machinery), and withdrawal symptoms when they reduce or discontinue their intake.
It’s easy to see that opioids are not a suitable solution for chronic pain and that we desperately need a better answer. That’s where green-lipped mussel oil (GLMO) may play a role.
What is Green-Lipped Mussel Oil
The green-lipped mussel is also known as the New Zealand green-lipped mussel or the New Zealand Mussel, because it is endemic to this region. These mollusks are found around all of NZ’s mainland. It has a unique appearance, with a dark brown or dark green shell with green “lips” around the edges. This species is one of the largest variety of mussel, reaching nearly 10 inches in length.
More importantly than this mussels’ appearance, however, is what it can do for you. Green-lipped mussel has enormous benefits related to pain, inflammation, joint health, the respiratory system, and more. The oil extracted is a purified marine lipid extract, which experts obtain through a unique, solvent-free process (not all manufacturers use this solvent-free process like GLX3). Green lipped mussels contain a combination of dozens of natural oils, sterols, esters, and omega-3 fatty acids. GLMO can help people in various ways, such as:
- Supporting joint health and mobility
- Relieving chronic pain
- Boosting the immune system function
- Enhancing lung health and airway function
- Improving cardiovascular health
- Mitigating free radicals
Because green-lipped mussels are a safe, natural product that has so many benefits, it is increasing in popularity as an alternative to opioids – but also more than that. At GLX3, we are passionate about the positive effects and the ways we’re seeing it give people back their lives.
The Benefits of Green-lipped Mussel Oil
You may have heard of using fish oil to support and enhance joint health. In fact, fish oil has been widely accepted for years as the gold standard in providing omega-3 fatty acids as a natural solution inflammation and joint pain in both humans and dogs. That is, until now.
If you are suffering from ongoing joint pain, it’s time to learn about the benefits of the green-lipped mussel – the supplement now recognized as the most potent source of omega-3s to reduce pain and improve joint health.
It’s true that marine oils are the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids – but which source is best, and why? Here are a few of the key advantages green-lipped mussel oil has over fish oil, making it the ultimate natural joint health supplement.
- Green-lipped mussel oil has a secret weapon. You’ll find two kinds of omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil: EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). These, like all omega-3 fatty acids, work to reduce inflammation by blocking the contributing enzymes (such as cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase). However, a third (and rare) form of omega-3 – ETA (eicosatetraenoic acid) – goes a step further. ETA works at the gene level to decrease the production of cyclooxygenase, leading to less pain, less inflammation, and greater mobility. ETA is found only in GLMO – not in fish oil.
- Green-lipped mussel oil is considerably more potent than fish oil., GLMO is an extremely effective, natural anti-inflammatory even when compared to pharmaceutical products such as ibuprofen, but without any of the potential side effects.
- Green-lipped mussels are a superfood. The green-lipped mussel has earned superfood status because it contains a wide range of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antioxidants, and much more. This status is in addition to its powerful anti-inflammatory properties, making it a smart addition to anyone’s diet.
- Green-lipped mussel oil is a sustainable product. While overfishing is a real concern, you can use GLMO without guilt. GLMO is harvested using a method that does not harm any other marine life. Indeed, the International Conservation Organization Blue Ocean Institute ranked green-lipped mussels as one of the world’s top two eco-friendly seafoods, and GLMs have earned the USA Blue Ocean Award for sustainability.
- Green-lipped mussels grow in some of the world’s cleanest water. The green-lipped mussel lives in the pristine waters off the NZ coast – some of the purest water in the world because of its distance from any dense areas of population. GLMs thrive far away from pollution and its harmful effects. They feed on nutrient-rich plankton, making them a purer and safer product to ingest than oil from fish that live their lives in potentially polluted water.
- To top it all off, green-lipped mussel extract even has amazing benefits for your dogs!
Common uses of Green Lipped Mussels
Green-lipped mussel oil can provide almost anyone with an impressive range of health benefits, but most people who take it do so for a specific reason. If you’re trying to address a problem such as joint pain, diabetes, asthma, or another problem related to inflammation, green-lipped mussel may offer a safe and effective alternative – or addition – to a conventional treatment plan. Here are some of the specific conditions for which people most commonly try green-lipped mussel oil.
- Arthritis: There are hundreds of types of arthritis, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, septic arthritis, and many more. This disorder is characterized by joint pain, inflammation, swelling, and reduced function; it may also cause fatigue, weight loss, sleep problems, and general malaise. Conventional treatments include physical therapy, painkillers, and surgery. Fortunately, there may be another option. Green-lipped mussel oil treats arthritis pain by offering anti-inflammatory action, pain relief, and improved mobility. It also reduces symptoms such as fatigue and stiffness, giving you the higher quality of life that you deserve.
- Inflammation: Inflammation is a natural body response to infection and injury and an essential part of the immune system. It tells the body to heal and repair damaged tissue or attack invaders such as bacteria. However, when inflammation occurs for too long or where it is not needed, it can cause problems such as autoimmune disorders, heart disease, and stroke. GLMO is a natural alternative to medications designed to fight inflammation such as NSAIDs. Better yet, not only does GLMO work to fight inflammation, but it does it without the stomach irritation NSAIDs can cause.
- Asthma. If you have exercise-induced asthma, green-lipped mussels can offer relief. They can improve lung function and reduce airway inflammation in asthmatics. Green-lipped mussels can help people with asthma reduce symptoms and the need for emergency medication in people who experience acute narrowing of the airway after exercise, making them feel better and even enhancing athletic performance.
- Inflammatory bowel disease. Inflammation itself can lead to numerous other conditions, and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is one of them. IBD is a category of diseases affecting the digestive tract, including ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. Because inflammation plays a significant role in these illnesses, the green-lipped mussel and its unique blend of omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the severity of symptoms and generally be a beneficial component of an individual’s overall treatment plan. Anything we can cite here?
As you can see, there are many reasons that people use green-lipped mussel oil, and there are many satisfied customers who have reported significant relief from the problem for which they are seeking help.
Side Effects and Common Misconceptions
Anytime you try a new product; you may rightly be concerned about potential side effects and how your unique body may react to the new food, supplement, or chemical. Indeed, when you do have a troubling reaction such as skin irritation, the first thing most people do is to think about any new products they’ve added to their lives – laundry detergent, lotion, or soap, for example, to try and find the culprit.
The good news about green-lipped mussels is that it is highly unlikely to cause any side effects or adverse reactions in people who do not have shellfish allergies. Obviously, if you are allergic to shellfish, you should not take green-lipped mussel oil. However, if eating seafood doesn’t elicit an allergic response from your body, then you are extremely unlikely to experience any negative effects. In the rare instances where people have reported side effects, they have been mild and temporary, such as indigestion or an upset stomach.
In spite of the overwhelming safety, misconceptions about green-lipped mussels abound. It’s essential to educate yourself about GLMO because myths and misinformation keep people from benefiting from its therapeutic properties. Here are some of the myths you may have heard – or may hear – about green-lipped mussels, and the real facts that debunk them.
Myth #1: All Green-lipped mussel supplements are the same.
Fact: There are significant differences between supplements and brands. GLX3 is the purest, most potent, and most effective product available containing GLMO. GLX3 contains none of the fillers or additives other brands have, which makes it more effective than omega-3 supplements and fish oils. It contains only New Zealand green-lipped mussel oil, New Zealand olive oil and New Zealand vitamin E for the purest and best formula you can buy. GLX3 proudly offers a completely solvent free CO2 extraction method.
Myth #2: Green-lipped mussel oil commonly causes adverse effects.
Fact: Green-lipped mussel oil side effects are rare, and the ones it does cause, tend to be very mild. Side effects that have been reported include abdominal discomfort, heartburn, nausea, diarrhea, and intestinal gas, but these have been rare, mild, and temporary. GLMO is overwhelmingly safe for people to take orally, as long as they do not have a shellfish allergy.
Myth #3: Green-lipped mussels are affected by ocean pollution.
Fact: It’s true that our oceans are filled with contaminants and becoming more polluted by the day. However, green-lipped mussels are not affected by this pollution. How is that possible? As mentioned, they are native to eastern New Zealand, far away from more populated areas and far away from the countries responsible for the most pollution. Also, the winds and ocean streams surrounding NZ act as protectants against many toxins. All of these factors make GLMO one of the cleanest shellfish-based sources of omega-3 fatty acids in the world.
Myth #4: Green-lipped mussel oil doesn’t really work.
Fact: Yes, for most people it does. People who use GLMO use fewer pharmaceutical painkillers and enjoy less pain, greater mobility, and improved quality of life overall. One thing that’s important to note about GLMO is that it isn’t an instant fix, such as ibuprofen. You’ll begin to notice its effects with consistent use, and the effects are better because it helps prevent inflammation and pain in the first place instead of just deadening pain temporarily.
Myth #5: You can cook and eat green-lipped mussels for health benefits.
Fact: You can cook with GLMs if you’d like to, and you will undoubtedly reap some of their benefits. However, it’s essential to understand that the process of cooking them will destroy many of the health benefits. Supplements such as GLX3 provide the most bang for your buck when it comes to getting the maximum benefits in the smallest serving sizes most cost-effectively.
Bonus tip: If you do want to cook with GLMs, try steaming them and serving with pasta and/or vegetables. They’re easy to prepare and provide a nutritious and tasty meal that’s low in fat and high in protein. Just remember to take your supplements for the most valuable health benefits.
What Other Ingredients are in Green-lipped Mussel Products?
When you buy a supplement, you expect it to contain the active ingredient and not much else. In reality, most supplements contain any number of inactive ingredients, from colors to flavors to preservatives and anti-caking agents. Many of these chemicals have the potential to cause unwanted side effects. The average pill contains about nine inactive ingredients. Here are a few of the inactive ingredients found in most green-lipped mussel supplements and their potential side effects that you won’t find in GLX3.
- Glycerin: Glycerin is a sugar alcohol that may come from animal products, plants, or petroleum. Because it is a type of sugar alcohol that the human body cannot fully digest, consuming too much can cause gas and diarrhea. Other side effects reported after consuming vegetable glycerin include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headaches, and excessive thirst.
- Vegetable magnesium stearate: Magnesium stearate is an additive commonly used in medications to delay their breakdown and absorption. Although generally recognized as safe, there are some reported side effects, such as diarrhea. Some people are also concerned that magnesium stearate interferes with the body’s ability to absorb the contents of their capsules at all. A few people even have allergic reactions to this additive.
- Silica: Silica is an anti-caking agent that prevents food products from clumping and the powdered ingredients in supplements from sticking together. Silica, also known as silicon dioxide, appears to be generally safe – however, WebMD states that because its safety in larger amounts is uncertain, pregnant women should avoid it in larger doses.
- Artificial sweeteners: Sorbitol is an artificial sweetener used in chewing gum, sweets, and supplements. Too much of it can cause problems such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, and unintended weight loss. Aspartame is another artificial sweetener often used in many foods and beverages – and also in supplements. Besides reports of minor side effects such as headaches and dizziness, research shows that aspartame may promote seizures in individuals who are already at risk.
If you prefer your green-lipped mussel supplements as pure as possible, you want GLX3. Unlike the above list of questionable additives and side effects, GLX3 contains precisely three ingredients:
- Green-lipped mussel oil: A potent, bioactive whole food that the body can easily absorb and use to fight inflammation and pain. Green-lipped mussel is more effective than fish oil, even in much smaller doses, because of how easily the body breaks it down and utilizes it.
- New Zealand olive oil: Instead of cheap fillers, we use olive oil grown and produced in New Zealand to provide additional health benefits. New Zealand olives are grown sustainably and harvested from one of the cleanest environments on earth.
- New Zealand vitamin E: Another benefit-rich oil, our vitamin E oil extends the life of GLX3 and provides its own powerful antioxidants, which help remove cell-damaging free radicals and reduce the risk of heart disease.
… and that’s it. There are zero unnecessary fillers, additives, chemicals, or any other ingredients in GLX3 besides these three. It’s that simple!
How Long Does it Take to See Results from Green Lipped Mussel Oil?
Results vary by individual. For some it can take 2 weeks up to 60 days for your body to acclimate to the wonderful Omega-3’s you are feeding it. Let them move in, make a home, even do a little remodeling in your body. That may take a little time. It may help you to quantify the results if you make a mental note of the your current level of pain or swelling just before starting GLX3 and then remind yourself to re-assess after a couple of weeks. Setting that base point lets you compare more easily.
What Makes GLX3 the Best GLMO Supplement
By now, it should come as no surprise that we believe that GLX3 is the best choice when it comes to GLMO preparations. Let’s explore the reasons why you should choose GLX3 and why you can expect real results when you do.
- GLX3 is a blend of three potent ingredients. As discussed above, GLX3 contains just three ingredients: GLMO for relief of pain and inflammation as well as other health benefits, New Zealand olive oil for additional health benefits and to maximize shelf life, and Vitamin E oil for its antioxidant properties. Nothing harmful, nothing unnecessary, and nothing you can’t pronounce – just pure, potent ingredients for optimal results.
- GLX3 is free from unnecessary and harmful ingredients. Just as important as what’s in GLX3 is what’s not: GMOs, fillers, preservatives, and other potentially harmful ingredients. You can take GLX3 with the peace of mind of knowing you’re doing what’s best for your body.
- Omega-3s. GLX3 contains essential omega-3 oils for heart health, brain function, joint-, and immune health.
- Traceability. Did you know that when you take GLX3, you can know exactly when and where the mussels were harvested? Not many products can make such a claim – and the ones that might not be willing to share the answer. We’re proud of our product and happy to answer all questions about it, anytime.
- Sustainability. The sustainability programs of New Zealand are some of the world’s most stringent because they are designed to preserve the pristine natural environment and guarantee the superior quality of a range of products. All ingredients in GLX3 are grown under sustainable farming programs with no toxic chemicals of any kind.
GLX3 offers a host of benefits and is a superior alternative to your regular fish oil supplement. It’s also cost-effective: considering that you can achieve the same or better effects with smaller doses, it can, in fact, cost less than your current supplements. There’s no risk to you, either, because we offer a 100% money-back guarantee – that’s how confident we are in our product and how we stand behind it to protect our customers. When it comes to joint health, a strong immune system, brain function and development, heart health, and overall well-being, there’s nothing like GLX3. Why not order yours today and give it a try? You’ve got nothing to lose except pain.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?