As you research different supplements to relieve sore bones and joints from arthritis, improve mental functioning, slow aging, or boost your immune system, you may find yourself asking what is green-lipped mussel oil? A follow up question you’re bound to ask after is:
What are potential green lipped mussel side effects?
We’re glad you asked!
At GLX3, we’re fans of honesty and transparency. If we don’t take vitamins and supplements without doing our research, we wouldn’t want you to, either!
In this post, we’ll set the record straight about the green lipped mussels we use in our supplements and their potential side effects, including the worst misconception we’ve heard about them!
Read on to see if it’s what you expected!
Potential Side Effects of Green Lipped Mussel Supplements
We told you we’d shoot it straight, so here it goes:
Green lipped mussel supplements may produce negative side effects when taken by someone with allergies to shellfish or when a person consumes too much. With that said — due to the extraction process, when you take a green lipped mussel supplement you’re actually digesting extracted oil and not the actual protein. Therefore allergic reactions are typically avoided in those without severe shellfish allergies.
And remember, you can even consume too much water-healthy living requires a balance in all things.
If you’re wondering how much is too much, a study demonstrated doses of up to 5 grams/day were well-tolerated.
And if you’re worried about increasing your LDL cholesterol levels, this study also mentions ingesting higher doses of DHA and EPA (two of the omega-3 fatty acids found in green lipped mussel oil) did not have a significant effect on cardiovascular risk.
For dosing tips, check out our post on dosage instructions for green-lipped mussel oil, and always consult with your doctor before introducing a new supplement to your diet.
Rare and mild side effects include indigestion or an upset stomach, but it was never enough to cause patients to drop out of the study mentioned above.
If you have gout, doctors often recommend limiting seafood intake due to high purine content. Purine gets broken down into uric acid in the body and contributes to gout.
When it comes to adverse effects of green lipped mussel supplements, it’s clear they’re the exception. But there is one big misconception about Omega-3 supplements we can’t stand!
The Worst Misconception We’ve Heard About green-lipped mussel and Omega-3 Supplements
There are some misconceptions about omega-3 supplements. Hands down the worst misconception is the idea all Omega-3 supplements are created the same and are tolerated equally!
Let’s unpack this myth some more:
1. The truth is many omega-3 supplements are made with fish oil, which tends to increase the adverse effects related to indigestion, unpleasant tastes, gas, and fish burps. Plus, you don’t always know where these fish were sourced and in what kind of environment they lived in!
With GLX3 supplements you know the exact batch and location our green lipped mussels were sourced from here in New Zealand. They’re farmed in a clean, nutrient rich environment, so we’re better able to monitor and manage their level of purity!
Speaking of purity…
2. Many companies choose to stabilize their supplements using chemical fillers. Many of these are toxic in large doses, so these stabilizers are not something you want to put into your body.
Our green lipped mussel oil capsules are stabilized using natural Vitamin E oil and pure New Zealand olive oil, so you’ll feel confident you’re taking steps to improve your health, not put it at risk!
The Difference Between ‘Adverse Effects’ and ‘Side Effects’
It’s important to remember a ‘side effect’ does not have to mean something harmful or uncomfortable.
In fact, many of the unexpected side effects from taking a green lipped mussel supplement like GLX3 are positive!
Here are 3 side effects GLX3 users can expect:
- Better Sleep-If you’re taking green lipped mussel oil to soothe aching joints and bones due to arthritis, a pleasant side effect is the ability to get more restful sleep! Without the pain to keep or wake you up, you can greet the day feeling refreshed and renewed.
- Less Muscle Soreness After Exercising-Green lipped mussel oil isn’t just for arthritis patients. Athletes and bodybuilders reap the benefits of green-lipped mussel oil during workouts, as it helps soothe delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Less pain, more reps!
- A Healthier Dog-Give your pup a healthy boost of joint pain relief and and go play! Dogs (and even cats!) respond very well to green lipped mussel oil supplementation. Experience the joy of a walk with your dog again!
We hope this post cleared up any doubts you had regarding potential green lipped mussel supplement side effects.
As always, consult your doctor for personalized medical advice,and feel free to shoot us an email with any other questions!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?